Dec 11, 2014

Recent and Upcoming Horse Books

So, I am a compulsive buyer when it comes to horse books. I go to used book stores and if I find children or YA horse books that are (very) cheap and sound remotely interesting, I buy them. I also check Amazon frequently, though thanks to having three real horses to feed (and being relatively cheap in general), I am less likely to buy new books online.

However, I do tend to keep lists of new series / individual books that catch my interest, and I figure since none of my friends give a flying fart, you all can share in my discoveries. Maybe I'll read a few of them for the blog, maybe not, but maybe you all out there might find a diamond in the many horse turds.

Recent Releases:

Released July 14, 2014
Headed for the Win
by Rachael Eliker

Available on Kindle, a girl and her horse switch bodies.

A GIRL AND HER HORSE SWITCH BODIES. I need this book in my life. This is the only book this author has written.





Released November 9, 2014
Roll the Dice (Bittersweet Farm Book 9)
by Barbara Morgenroth

Available on Kindle and older books in paperback, obviously a long running series that flew under my radar. Sounds like a series full of delicious drama, might be worth checking out. The author has a stable full of horse books, check them all out here:
Author page




Released November 20, 2014
Nothing But Horses (Shamrock Stables Book 3)
by Shannon Kennedy

Available on Kindle and in Paperback, I've read none of these books, but it seems each has a different main character, so maybe chronology isn't a huge concern. Others in the series are:
1. No Horse Wanted
2. No Time for Horses




Released November 22, 2014
JUMP GIRL (The Go Girls Chronicles Book 2)
by Leigh Hutton

Available on Kindle and in Paperback, part of a series focusing on girls in sports, not strictly horses. This book sounds banana-balls, it sounds like it's trying to be every genre. The first book in the series here:
1. Rev Girl





Released December 2, 2014
A Hoof in the Door (Eventing Trilogy Book 2)
by Caroline Akrill

Available on Kindle, again I haven't read any of this ongoing trilogy, but it sounds like the main character is really riding the struggle bus, so maybe it would be worth a look. The first book in the series here:
1. Eventer's Dream




Future Releases:

Releases December 15, 2014
Showdown (Red Rock Ranch Book 2)
by Brittney Joy

It seems there are far fewer rodeo centric horse books than show jumping and dressage, which is interesting considering the drama on the rodeo circuits easily rivals the English disciplines. First book here:
1. Lucy's Chance





Releases December 30, 2014
Star Rise (Horses of the Dawn Book 2)
by Kathryn Lasky

One of those stories told from the animal's point of view that really became popular again after the Warriors series took off, the author has written a few other similar series about wolves and dogs. Book one here:
1. The Escape
Author page




Releases April 21, 2015
Stormbound (The Guardian Herd Book 2)
by Jennifer Lynn Alvarez

Marketed directly towards fans of Warriors and Kathryn Lasky's books, this fantasy series follows pegasus politics... I guess? Not really my thing, but it does sound more unique than some. First book here:
1. Starfire





Releases March 1, 2015
A Horse for Kate (Horses and Friends Book 1)
by Miralee Ferrell

Releases June 1, 2015
Silver Spurs (Horses and Friends Book 2)

New Christian horse fiction series. I don't generally pick on religion, but these sorts of books tend to be easy targets. I may have to check these out.



Marguerite Henry's Ponies of Chincoteague
by Catherine Hapka

5. A Winning Gift - Releases July 7, 2015
4. Moonlight Mile - Releases April 28, 2015
3. Chasing Gold - Released November 4, 2014
2. Blue Ribbon Summer - Released July 8, 2014
1. Maddie's Dream - Released July 8, 2014

Described as a contemporary middle grade series in the tradition of Marguerite Henry’s Misty of Chincoteague. This series is on my buy list, may be review material.



Marguerite Henry's Misty Inn 
by Kristin Earhart

2. Buttercup Mystery - Releases June 16, 2015
1. Welcome Home! - Releases June 16, 2015

Described as a chapter book series inspired by Marguerite Henry’s Misty of Chincoteague. What the devil is going on with all the Marguerite Henry stuff? Amazon is also listing like ALL her books in new Hardcover additions...
Well, these will most likely be on my buy list / potential review list as well, because why the hell not?


 

Any other recent / upcoming books that I missed? Please share in the comments!


4 comments:

storminmay said...

Thanks for the recs! Will be checking out Headed for the Win and the first book in the Bittersweet Farm books.

Barbara Morgenroth said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my series, Bittersweet Farm. Book 1 is available as a free borrow through the Kindle Unlimited program. Happy Holidays!

Kate Lattey said...

Looks like you've got a ton of books to review there, but if you want/need more I have three on Amazon for Kindle: Dare to Dream, Dream On and Flying Changes, author Kate Lattey.

I have just spent the last hour or so laughing my head off at your Thoroughbred reviews! Great job...the first 10 or so of those books were quite good but everything else just descended into the muck.

Shadowhawke said...

Bittersweet farm has been a fun series. Looking forward to finding the rest....
One thing bugs me though.
How old is the trainer?
Girl is 18..17? And dating a much older guy... dad is ok with th8s?