Aug 23, 2009

Wildfire: And then this happened, and then that happened, and then...

Wildfire
4.2: The More Things Change (2)

+ Brad's non-marriage proposal to Lavinia is impressive, because only Brad can suddenly non-propose to someone and make it look totally planned. (+2)

+ Dani and Ashleigh are friends. I had no idea how much I wanted to see this until now. (+4)

+ Season 4 actually includes morning works at an actual racetrack. Color me shocked! (+1)

+ Lavinia is precisely how I imagined her, right down to the attitude. Nicely done, show. (+1)

+ I could say that Jean is being a little childish when she tells Ashleigh they really don't need her around, but I'm still riding pretty high on this feeling I get whenever someone kicks Ashleigh when she's down. So I am giving her points for this. (+2)

+ Dani wins at life. (+1)

+ Ian's "we did what was best for Wonder" message is another thing that wins points for me because it's another cheap shot at Ashleigh. (+2)

+ Brad's real proposal to Lavinia is pretty adorable. Everything he does is adorable, so I guess that's not surprising. (+1)

The Good: 14

- This episode really pushes the envelope in terms of coming across as every Thoroughbred book ever written. We've got a healthy dose of Pride's Last Race (love saves everything!) combined with a dash of Fallen Star ("You just have to get better!"), and a sprinkling of Cindy and Glory's codependence. It was actually pretty amazing in that regard. However, it's overkill. (-5)

- That horse Noah helps on the track? If that was supposed to be a racehorse, that was the most out of shape racehorse that ever existed. (-1)

- Yes, because putting screws in a horses leg when they have a fractured cannon bone is totally new and controversial! (-2)

- I love how Noah doesn't work at Dani's clinic, yet because Ashleigh saw him perform a miracle back adjustment on a plow pony/racehorse he is magically recruited to do the surgery on Wonder's broken leg. It is all very insane. (-2)

- I actually feel a little sorry for Mike in this episode, because Ashleigh spends a lot of time avoiding him and then whips up a vague reason to break up with him. And then she says, "Sorry." She is queen of the ambiguous break ups. (-3)

The Bad: 13

14 - 13 = 1

The More Things Change (1): 22
The More Things Change (2): 1

4 comments:

Daqu said...

Okay, wait. So is this an actual TV adaptation of the Thoroughbred series or are you guys just making comparisons? Because if it is, I absolutely must get my hands on it!

Mara said...

Oh, dear, no. Wildfire isn't a tv adaptation of Thoroughbred. It just lends itself really, really well to the Thoroughbred series plotline. In other words, it is its own series--I just watch it as a Thoroughbred tv show because it is more hilarious that way. And now you have reminded me to put a disclaimer on these in the future!

PRtine said...

When will you finish season 4? I have been dying to see new recaps since August ... when I shamelessly devoured all 4 seasons on hulu in 5 days.

Mara said...

@PRtine:
If there is interest in more reviews of Wildfire, I'm more than happy to continue with them. Thanks for mentioning they're on Hulu! That makes my life easier.