Mar 8, 2011

Flicka: Part Deux

Flicka 2
2010

Carrie is a big-city teenager whose life is turned upside down when she moves to a horse ranch in Wyoming to live with her father. But everything changes when Carrie meets Flicka, a wild, jet-black mustang who's just as free-spirited and strong-willed as Carrie. The two form a special bond and Carrie opens her heart to her father and a handsome, local boy, but when a jealous rival puts Flicka's life in jeopardy, Carrie must do whatever it takes to save her best friend.

I would just like to point out that I had the option of watching this as an in-flight movie back in July, but I decided not to do that because I was sitting next to someone I did not want to embarrass myself in front of. Probably not because I was watching a really dumb movie, but because I would have started snickering like crazy in public. Sort of like what happened when I watched Twilight over the Atlantic and my friend kept giving me these weird looks when I couldn't contain my laughter.

I wasn't going to do that again. I am an adult, damn it!



So, anyway, eventually Flicka 2 and I were going to wind up crossing paths again. That's just how it is around here. Weirdly enough, this movie has a lot in common with The Wild Stallion, in that a girl from a beat up rust belt city (my adopted hometown of Pittsburgh, conveniently) journeys to Wyoming, experiences culture clash, and winds up falling in love with a semi-wild black horse.

Here is the story: Katy went to vet school and left Flicka behind at her uncle's ranch after her dad wound up selling. That's a life long forever bond for you, Flicka! Carrie (some girl who is like noticeably twenty-six and attempting to be sixteen, which fails on so many levels) is a skater teen committing tame traffic violations in Pittsburgh, only Pittsburgh is too busy to care. After her grandmother goes altzy, the state removes Carrie from grandma's care and ships her to her biological father, Hank, who lives in a land of grass and unpaved roads. Essentially, this is Carrie's hell.

After whining about having to wake up at five o'clock and being forced into eating a hearty breakfast, Carrie quickly realizes her cell phone won't work and then promptly drops it in manure. She also does stupid things like wearing her treasured shoes to muck out stalls, and then complains when she steps in manure. Then she makes remarks about how these ranch hands couldn't handle Pittsburgh! Pittsburgh is, like, so bad ass!

But then, while she's randomly trekking through some field in search of reception for her phone, the majesty of Flicka is bestowed upon her. And this is accompanied by, no lie, petals floating in slow motion through the air. I'm sure there was dramatic music. Girl, meet horse. After this extended love scene, Flicka then saves her from a rattlesnake and gets bitten in the leg for her trouble. I was half expecting Carrie to suck the poison out, but instead the vet is called and Carrie sleeps on Flicka's neck, because that is the appropriate thing to do with one's wonder pony and is totally comfortable!

Now we can take some time out to introduce to you Jake, country singer ranch hand, and Amy, blond arch nemesis from the neighboring farm. Amy is an instant bitch. Jake is adorably incompetent. I was having a hard time deciding who to like more, honestly, so I settled with finding them both boring. For instance:

Carrie: I ride...just not on horses.
Jake: *innocent blank stare*

Come on, Jake. No man I know...not one...would let that lie there. Granted, maybe I know a lot of jerks. That said, I was sorely disappointed in Jake as a character from that point on.

Through a convoluted series of events, Carrie is grounded after she somehow rides Flicka to town so she can skateboard and joy ride by holding onto the tails of other cars, which in Wyoming is a definite crime. Hank goes ballistic and has Flicka moved to Amy's ranch as punishment. But because Flicka is wild at heart she escapes and tears down a fence, which somehow results in Amy's dad demanding that Hank hand over Flicka to serve as Amy's new reining horse. Never you mind about the fact that Flicka is Katy's horse. I mean, who really cares, right? Katy gave up ownership when she abandoned her wonder pony for higher learning! If we give away her horse that will show her!

So that happens. Except Flicka is too scared of camera flashes to be a great reining horse and promptly falls down during a competition. Stereotypically enraged, Amy's dad insists that Flicka be sold to slaughter, because that is where horses who anger easily upset men go. Everyone has a fit about this, and somehow (this is code for I have stopped paying attention) Flicka is broken out of horse jail and, because this is all so logical, Carrie decides it is best to release her back into the wilds from whence she came.

And then like a year later they find Flicka with her new foal, and there is magical horse/girl/foal bonding and I assume Flicka gets to go back to the ranch since surely Amy's dad is through being enraged by now.

God only knows what Katy thinks about all of this. I'm sure it will be a fabulous potential story for Flicka 3: The Reckoning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh god, that movie was... stupid. I tuned out laughing at the part with flower petals drifting though the air is magical sparkly slow motion... which is probably why I don't remember half of this movie.

Anonymous said...

scary plot really. still trying to figure out why carrie and relatives do not mind that flicka is with 'evil jerks' or how katy managed to get through college and into vet school and not get kicked out since a) school is not her thing and b) she raised such a fuss about being the next rancher. but whatever. god helps us for the next piece of the unforunate trilogy

Anonymous said...

i saw this last night and it was so much worse than when katy did it the first time. im not even sure where to start. the legal system is a joke; that sheriff?! then there is jake who swears he was hired under strict scrutiny despite having no clue how to longe but thats ok because none of them know how to! maybe that bay youngster is lame cause yall are running him in 8' circles... nah. im pretty sure katy would whack carrie in the face. amy is far too cliche though i love where she snaps at flicka that shes stupid and this isnt hard cause we practiced it like a million times. though it was so fabulous that flicka actually performed for someone else cause these stories are always built on 'magik horsee only does it 4 mee!' on that note i definitely got a good laugh that flicka is too wild so dont you plan on riding her carrie and yet she was fine for a girl who has never been on a horse before. then later in the movie shes the horse everyone wants cause shes so well trained. when did katy use her for reining...? and why is there some correlation between sloppily cantering in a round pen to galloping on the plains and then riding at speed bareback? never worked for me. pfft
also really obvious use of an arabian. not sure if it was the dish or the tail carriage that gave it away. probably the bridle path
throw something at me for thinking that was san francisco lol
the ONLY redeemable feature of the movie was patrick warburton. i love him. he is hilarious. oh and fighting the rooster off with an umbrella. i grew up with a much meaner rooster and my first day meeting him someone handed me a pitchfork and said its primary use was for mucking stalls but id need it for protection if the $%^& bird got near me. those were some good years

Anonymous said...

Good post and Smart Blog
Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog STD Symptoms and more Norwegian Scabies thanks again admin

Anonymous said...

my favorite line in that ridiculously stupid movie is: "i dont date hicks." me and my friends were laughing about that for DAYS.