Jul 30, 2009

Well, that was unexpected. And possibly not appreciated.

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
2002

I actually hadn't planned on viewing this movie (for the second time) until I was finished with my Supernatural marathon. However, because Netflix seemed to pick up on how much I like chronological order, I was given Spirit instead of Supernatural, Season 2, Disc 6, which is listed as "short wait." Damn you, Netflix. How dare you anticipate my needs!

Well, I have remedied this in my own way. However, I still had this stupid Spirit movie to deal with, and I had to go watch it again.

I honestly can't remember when I first saw this. Or with whom. Or where. Or when. This time, I made it through about forty-five minutes before deciding that the fast forward button was my friend (the last time I remembered I could fast forward through things that bored and/or horrified me was when I had to watch Caligula for academic purposes...and no, I'm not really comparing Spirit to Caligula because that would be insanely inappropriate). Because, really, who needs animated movies where the main animal characters can't speak proper English. Hell, if the Lakotas can speak perfect English, and Spirit manages it in voice over, the horses can figure it out also.

Obviously, I did forget that the horses do not actually speak in this movie. I kept expecting it to happen, because there are several instances where it totally would have helped. Like...when Spirit magically shouldered Rain onto his shoulders in the rapids. Or any time before or after that, really. Any time.

So, here are my points, as recorded in my notes when I wasn't busy fast forwarding:

  • Clouds shaped like horses. Subtle!
  • Bryan Adams. When I think of Bryan Adams, I think of Kevin Costner. It's unfortunate for Bryan Adams, but it's just a stigma that will never wash clean. Poor career move, Bryan Adams.
  • I could be really anal about the weirdness that is Spirit's herd, but part of me really doesn't care. I could be annoyed that he appears to be born in the spring, only for it to magically become winter two seconds later. Then there is this sticky "Like my father before me..." narration that kicks in after minutes and minutes of Spirit never interacting with his father whatsoever to the point where I am convinced his dad died like months before he was born. And I could also point out that colts don't inherit herds from their sires...because that just isn't how it works. HOWEVER, I don't care. So.
  • Spirit's herd snuggles as a group. It takes a village, people. It takes a village.
  • That mare he shares grass with? She so wants him.
  • The eyebrows!
  • There is a lot of The Last Unicorn in this movie. Not to mention Lady and the Tramp and The Last of the Mohicans.
  • I love random explosions. I'm not sure how a locomotive rolling down a hill into a camp could cause a firestorm of that magnitude, but whatever. I'll roll with it.
  • And then they jump the Grand Canyon! And it is inspirational!
  • The head nod of understanding between the colonel and Spirit was just a tad too much.
  • Well, okay, the manly hug between Spirit and Little Creek surpassed the nod of understanding. I guess all of this makes sense because Spirit is a stallion, who is raging with testosterone, the main source behind nods of understanding and manly hugs? Maybe?

This is a good movie for kids, surely. For anyone who realizes horses don't have eyebrows, this will get tired quickly.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I think this movie was based on a book. Or a book series. I don't remember.
I actually rather liked this movie, but I haven't watched it in years. Whileas The Last Unicorn I watch about once a year. Huh.

Heather said...

Yeah, the books are actually based on the movie. They are:

http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Stallion-Cimarron-Kathleen-Duey/dp/0525467408/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249041348&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Cimarron-Bonita-Kathleen-Duey/dp/0142300950/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-West-Esperanza-Cimarron/dp/0525468595/ref=ed_oe_h

http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-West-Sierra-Kathleen-Cimarron/dp/0525467122/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Maybe I should check these out. They are probably short enough to read in a day.

RiverHeightsFangirl said...

Spirit brings Rain to his mommy in the end, and Spirit totally doesn't try anything on his mommy!

Horses whinny ALL the time to communicate. Yep. They can also gallop full-speed for miles and miles, and jump rivers and canyons fearlessly. They interact with bison! Because mustangs and bison totally live in the same territory. Also, I'd love to see where Spirit lives. Maybe all the mustangs from the dry desert places would like to go there.

Erin said...

Hahaha, this movie is kind of a waste of time. I remember it came out when I was already past the target audience age, I made myself watch it, and then felt like perhaps movie studios had forgotten how to make good animated films. Lion King? Classic, even though it has talking animals, but this is probably also due to superior scripting, as well. 101 Dalmations? I'll still watch it today.

I feel like it would have been better, had it just been an adventure story about Spirit and the other horses, and then they could have talked with each other.

And to top it off, I actively dislike Bryan Adams' voice, so there was just no winning with me on this one.

Kelsey said...

Actually, I remember watching something on TV (or maybe it was DVD features?) about how they originally had the horses without eyebrows. However, eyebrows help show emotions better so they had to go back and add them on in every scene.

Heather said...

I will admit that the scene in the train car made me cry like a little girl the first time I saw it.

Molly said...

I'm so glad I never got around to watching this. It sounds like a pile of horse crap. I know animals in animated movies tend to have human features so we can read their expressions, but for some reason I suspect that horses with eyebrows would really get on my nerves. (Yet I can watch Finding Nemo a million times and the fact that a bunch of the fish have human mouths doesn't bother me in the slightest. Maybe because that movie was awesome.)