May 22, 2009

Talking about vintage video games...

Harvey Smith Showjumper

So I downloaded this Commodore 64 game called Harvey Smith Showjumper. It's....interesting. It would be a lot easier if I actually had a joystick but I'll survive. (I used WinVICE for my emulator. Not too bad.)

If you have no idea what the C64 is, check out this: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=98

No CDs -- they used cartridges, cassettes (yes, the same kind you play music on, except if you put it into a cassette player it'd sound like dial-up), and floppy disks. Couldn't find a description, really. But the game's from the 80s. So I started up the game and got this opening screen, which is nice considering it's 8-bit graphics.


I couldn't figure out how to get past it for a minute, it just said "Press Fire To Continue." Then I figured out to set up the numeric keypad as the joystick. Yay! So this is pretty simple enough:

I just hit P to play the course. I'm not quite sure how the course designer would work, I didn't get a chance to muck around in that. So I end up riding a prancing horse:

I have a habit of using the arrow keys so it took a bit to turn him around. And it's pretty hard to hit the print screen button at the same time, so the next screenshot, which is supposed to be the horse jumping, isn't so good:

So...an interesting game if you like 8-bit games. Or old computers. Or C64s. I like C64s, although I don't have one.

Want to try it yourself? Here's the game: http://www.c64.com/games/no-frame.php?showid=2160&searchfor=&searchfor_special=h&from=10&range=10

And an emulator: http://www.viceteam.org/

7 comments:

RiverHeightsFangirl said...

Jesus H. Christ. I can see through time! C64! That's a real dinosaur compared to the LCD laptop I'm typing on now, with DSL Internet, Twitter, instant access weather with five-day forecast, online education with video and graphics...

Aimee said...

Yeah, but I'm a fan of the C64. And it was pretty modern for its time. Not ahead of its time (such as the Xerox Alto), but still pretty impressive.

I have a desktop computer, which I prefer for the upgradability. Pretty decent specs:
- Windows Vista Home Basic (planning to upgrade to maybe Home Premium)
- 4 gigs of RAM

- 500 gig hard drive (by Western Digital -- a good thing because I like WD drives)

-- dual-core AMD processor (I prefer AMD over Intel).

-- NVIDIA chipset (this includes the graphics card and the on-board sound, and a few other things, I prefer ATI but I think I'll survive)

-- LCD widescreen monitor. I haven't measured it yet.

-- One optical drive (LG DVD-RW), but I picked up a few at yard sales so I'll install those as soon as my mom lets me open it up, 'cause she's convinced I'll electrocute myself. Unlikely unless it's plugged in or I muck around in the power supply unit. At the same time I'll install the floppy drive.

Now I better go before I bore/scare you to death with my geekiness!

Molly said...

That looks REALLY great for an 8-bit game!

BTW if you're still hunting down old games like this one...I'm telling you, Quarter Pole. It was awesome. I wasted hours building up a championship racing stable. I'd give anything to find it again - and make it run on my new laptop!

RiverHeightsFangirl said...

Eww! Vista! KILL IT! KILL IT! I have Vista! It's craptacular.

Aimee said...

I couldn't find a copy of Quarter Pole (yet). Still looking.

I was skeptical of Vista at first. I know a lot of people had trouble with it because they upgraded their XP boxes to Vista. One rule of thumb is to never put a newer OS on the computer than the one it's designed for. My computer was designed for Vista, and maybe if the system requirements aren't too bad, I'll try Windows 7 once it's released and stable.

Just be glad it's not Windows ME! Worst OS ever.

Also some people say Vista's improved since SP1.

Molly said...

You know it's possible I still have the disks stashed away somewhere...I'll dig around and see if I can find them for you.

Aimee said...

Thanks :-)