Mar 28, 2009

In memory of Blue

Dear Mara, Monique, Lei, Claire, Elizabeth, and all of the blog readers,

Firstly, I apologize. I know it isn't the purpose of this blog, but I feel that by posting on this blog I will be speaking to people who will understand why I had to write this post. You see, our much loved gelding, Blue, died today.

He wasn't yet twenty years old, and frequently acted like a three year old. Today was a nice day, there was no mud in our fields, and the horses were taking the opportunity to kick up their heels. Dear Blue, as he took a sharp turn, fell and broke his neck. It was over in an instant, and he felt no pain.

Blue was always a goer. Impatient as he was tacked up, smacking his lips before he recieved the bit, biting you feet if you took to long getting comfortable. On the trail he was fearless, walking through any obstacles in his way without hesitation. Chomping the bit if he wasn't in the lead, dancing if we weren't going fast enough. Though he had no papers, his courage and his goodness lead to us dubbing him 'Sir Galahad Blue.'

He was a strange looking guy, bay roan-ish. As he changed colors every season, we would be asked if he was an appaloosa. We would laugh and reply, "No, he's just a technicolor dreamhorse." And he really was. Though he would go under a fence if the power was off, let himself into the barn if I wasn't fast enough, and let himself into other horses stalls if I didn't watch out, he was the best horse we could have ever asked for. I would give anything to go out to the barn tonight and face his naughtiness. I wish I had laughed more and yelled less while I could.

Blue, you were always raring to go, but now we must let you go. I know I will look for you in the fields tonight, tomorrow, forever. I hope as we end our life's journey we will meet you on the other side, and you, not us, will open the Gates and lead us into Greener Fields. With that silly smile on your horsie face. I love you always.

6 comments:

Jessica Burkhart said...

Oh, Heather, I'm so sorry for your loss. At least he didn't suffer. Take care!

Mara said...

Hey, Heather, I'm really sorry to hear about this. There's no need to apologize. Please feel free to blog about whatever horsey topic you like, okay? In the meantime, know that my thoughts are with you.

Molly said...

I'm so sorry. Been there and I don't think anything sucks quite like it.

Erin said...

Oh, I am so, so sorry. I lost my horse a little over a year ago and still miss him like crazy -- and I had time to prepare. I can't imagine losing a horse under these circumstances. Thank goodness it was quick and he felt no pain -- but what a tragedy.

So sad to hear about this loss.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Butterscotch Pony said...

I'm so sorry. Blue sounded like an amazing horse, and quite the character. My thoughts are with you.